International divorce can be a tricky topic – especially if you haven’t consulted the professionals at Klok Family Law. Find out more about how you can use our guidance to foster a clean separation from anywhere on the globe.
Emotional stress and domestic formalities are unfortunate tolls of any divorce. But when international couples choose to end a relationship, courts are forced to observe an additional set of conventions.
Ultimately, life doesn’t always go as planned. We’re all prone to mistakes, big and small. Regardless of why you’re filing for an international divorce, you can’t neglect the importance of having a knowledgeable attorney on your side.
Defining international divorce
Unfortunately, international divorce doesn’t have a clean-cut distinction. The court system may group a variety of instances under the same heading of international divorce, including:
- Filing for a divorce while both parties reside in South Carolina but are citizens of other nations
- Drafting up a divorce while one party resides overseas, but allows professional legal counsel to act on his or her behalf
Depending on where you’re located and where you are in the process, international divorce can spring a series of legal complexities.
What you need to know
If you’re looking into international divorce, there are a few key bullet points you should always take into consideration. Before you make any hasty decisions, it’s important to get proper consultation – you don’t want to commit any time or money to a misguided course of action.
- Are there children involved? Like any divorce, children should be the top priority in an international divorce. If your separation includes custody provisions, it’s important to make that the keystone of your settlement. Keep in mind, guardianship laws may also vary from state to state.
- Do you have an exit blueprint? It’s easy to invest yourself in the divorce process when you’re caught in the moment, but remember there’s life beyond the paperwork. If you plan on moving back home or out of the country, you’ll benefit by organizing your exit plan sooner rather than later.
- Have you considered all legal outlets? When it comes to a matter as large as international divorce, it’s best to seek out trustworthy, reliable representatives. The attorneys at Klok Family Law have experience with non-citizens seeking divorces in South Carolina.
Klok Family Law can help
Every lifetime witnesses ebbs and flows. We’re all privy to the hardships and rocky moments that accompany our relationships and personal affairs. If you’re pursuing an international divorce, contact Klok Family Law so we can support you through the process.
Klok Family Law is committed to your personal best, and we’re happy to help you clear up any questions or concerns about the procedure. Get in touch with us today and set up a free initial consultation regarding your separation.